Banned Books Week
This week is Banned Books Week, which celebrates the freedom to read. Throughout America’s (and the world’s) history, books have been challenged or even banned because someone found their content to be offensive, inappropriate or simply disagreeable. I am always in favor of going against the grain and doing the unexpected, so you might guess that I’m a huge fan of Banned Books Week. In honor of the Week, here are a few of my favorite banned and challenged books:
- Animal Farm – The pigs take over the farm – who wouldn’t like that story?
- The Catcher in the Rye – If I could marry Holden, I would
- The Handmaid’s Tale – My guess is that religious right wing has a problem with this book
- The Diary of Ann Frank – I am incredibly confused about how you could ban this book
- Not Without My Daughter – A fantastic story and also an excellent movie starring Sally Field
- A Clockwork Orange – Chilling and frightening
This week grab a banned book and celebrate the fact that you’re allowed to read it – not everyone is that lucky.