Desert Island Book
I saw this question on Twitter and then another friend asked me recently, so it got me thinking: If you were stranded on a desert island and only had one book with you, which would you choose? I think I’ve thought about this a little too much, but I came up with some parameters for my selection:
- The book should be fairly long – I feel this is obvious. No one is going to choose Green Eggs and Ham as their one book for the island.
- The book should be thought-provoking – I mean, I’m sitting around doing nothing but reading this book, so at least it should give me something to ponder.
- I should LOVE this book – Again, obvious. I’m not going to choose a book that I’m not head over heels for because I’ll be sick of it too soon.
- The book should offer multiple story lines/meanings/interpretations – This goes hand-in-hand with the thought-provoking idea. I want a book that offers something to think about, ideas to examine and alternative meanings or interpretations.
- The book should be well-written – Bad writing annoys me here in civilization, so I think it may push me over the edge if I were stranded on a desert island.
Using these guidelines, I’ve come up with two possible selections for my desert island choice. They both fulfill the above criteria and I think they would keep me thinking and entertained while I’m not constructing my bamboo hut and sipping coconut juice:
- The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami – The ways to interpret a man sitting in a dry well listening to a “wind-up bird” are endless. Plus, Wind Up Bird tops the scales at more than 600 pages. This one will keep me thinking and interpreting for a good long time.
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood – I dig books on religion, so this novel – set in America in the future where religious zealots have taken over the country – would keep me fired up for some time. It is well-written with surprising twists and turns and the flashbacks and foreshadowing are great for some time-consuming contemplating.
What are your desert island picks?